RE:NEW was the name of the project responsible for transforming the 1936 Odeon Cinema building into the brand new world-class cultural centre ‘Storyhouse.’ The building was Grade II and had been empty and deteriorating since 2007.
Strip Out, Asbestos Removal & Demolition
We undertook the following works within the regeneration package:
- Complete soft strip of former internal aspects of the Odeon
- Removal of all asbestos containing materials (ACM)
- Demolition of rear extension of the Odeon including; removal of rear elevation by hand and high reach excavator, thus opening up the rear of the cinema
- Removal by manual and mechanical means of concrete structural aspects, within a tight and restricted area. This included propping solutions for temporary supports to the building during the cutting and removal of structural beams
- Internal mechanical demolition within the structure using a 20 tonne excavator to break out of concrete balcony/floors
During our works, we were required to work safely around other trades and within a restricted traffic management arrangement.
The project converted and extended the existing building to house two flexible theatre spaces, boutique independent cinema, a 21st century library and destination café bars.