Project name: Goss Building, Preston
Client: University of Central Lancashire (UCLan)
Scope: Demolition of redundant Goss factory buildings
Duration: 40 weeks
Completion: January 2016
The factory and office building were the home of the Goss Manufacturing printing presses for over 100 years, employing over 2,000 people on the site at its peak. This vast 26,500 m2 site required site clearance and remediation works to facilitate yet another aspect of UCLan’s regeneration strategy for the Preston environment.
Boarded by businesses, a railway line and Network Rail land, residential properties and a narrow road and footpath, there were many hazards to control with all of which, were effectively and competently resolved by managed controls. The site consisted of a 5 storey reinforced concrete office block, multiple industrial sheds of steel truss and stanchion design, standing at 60 ft abutting a live footpath and road, and lower level portal frame buildings, clad in asbestos containing materials.
The works included:
- The disconnection of all services; electrical subs, gas etc
- Removal of notifiable asbestos containing materials (ACM’s) which were substantial
- The demolition of all buildings, deploying our high-reach demolition excavator
- Excavation of 3 metre deep foundations and footings
- Crushing of materials which amounted to over 95,000 metric tonnes used in the development scheme
- Road closure management
- Management of contractors
- Scaffolding application to office building
- Liaison with Network Rail asset management department
- Management of all demolition zones, fall hazards on site, both existing and those created by mechanical demolition works to spoil level slab foundations 5 metre deep
The demolition works were the first stage of UCLan’s £200 million pound master plan to change Preston’s skyline and to help draw together the City and the University. The former Goss Printworks land will be used as a secure space for 233 vehicles, which will reduce the traffic flow in the heart of the campus.
“Bradley Demolition were extremely efficient and professional in their work. The demolition carried out from start to finish was done on time, on budget, to a high standard and most importantly safely. I would have no hesitation in recommending the services of Bradley Demolition.”
David M. W. Griffiths BSc (Hons), UCLAN Principal Building Surveyor